Safety

If spring sends you into remodeling mode, check with professionals before you head to the nearest hardware store. While home improvement projects can be very satisfying to complete, they pose risks when it comes to electricity. Contact CEMC for the correct procedures before tackling any electrical project. For outside projects, first check the area where you will be working. Identify potential hazards. Always look up for power lines, and avoid using long poles or ladders within 10 feet of overhead wires.

Will your project involve any digging? To find out where utility lines run on your property, dial 811 or  1-800-351-1111 a few days prior to digging. Never assume the location or depth of underground utility lines. There’s no need: the 811 service is free, prevents the inconvenience of having utilities interrupted, and can help you avoid serious injury. For more information about local services, visit http://www.tenn811.com/.

Electricity does a tremendous amount of work for us. However, because it is such a powerful force, we must be careful with it. Electricity always takes the shortest way to the ground. It will go through wire, metal, wet objects... or you. It's invisible, but very real, so treat it with respect. Each year people are injured or killed by electricity. The reason is almost always faulty appliances and tools, carelessness, or lack of knowledge about how electricity works.

Outdoors
- Never touch or go near fallen wires, even if you think they are safe.
- Don't raise any tall objects without looking up.
- Call us before you trim any trees near power lines.
- Avoid planting trees under power lines.
- Never fly kites or model airplanes near power lines.
- If a kite, or any other object, is caught in a line or nearby tree,
leave it alone.

Indoors

- Remember that electricity and water don't mix.
- Keep appliances, especially hair dryers, away from bathtubs, puddles, sinks and wet hands.
- Never put metal objects in live parts of appliances or in outlets.
- If an appliance overheats, unplug it and have it checked.
- Use only electrical equipment that is approved by a recognized testing laboratory, such as
Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Use extension cords sparingly. Too many appliances plugged into one cord causes overheating.
- Check electrical cords for worn spots or frayed wires. Don't try to mend them, replace them.

MSDS Sheets for Old Poles
MSDS Creosote
| MSDS Pentachlorophenol